The Roanoke Visitor Center
hundred year old Roanoke Station depot building returned home on the morning
of December 18, 2000. The trailer hauling the structure crossed the Roanoke
Creek bridge into the hamlet of Randolph shortly after 10 AM. It completed
the two mile journey down Route 607, seemingly no worse for the ride. Mr.
and Mrs. Jeffrey St. John purchased and moved the depot to their home from the
hamlet of Randolph some years ago to save it from destruction.
the building arrived in Randolph, site preparation work continued with
stone being spread around the newly erected foundation piers. Additional structural work
was necessary as the depot prepared for its new role within the State Park.
The Roanoke Station depot opened on May 31,2002, and is now the Roanoke
Visitor Center. It houses an archaeological exibit of Native American artifactes
excavated from the park by the Longwood University Archaeological Field School.
There is also an exhibit of rare Southern Railway memorabilia
from the Crescent Passenger line that served the Roanoke
Depot in the early 1920-1930s. Some of the items included on
display are dining car items and place settings, books, lanterns,
and miscellaneous railroad merchandise.
These items are on loan to the Foundation by David W. Newcombe.
Return to Staunton River Battlefield State Park home page